If you have a home swimming pool or are thinking of getting one, solar powered swimming pool cleaners are an excellent option for making pool maintenance both cheaper and more efficient.
Your pool is probably positioned in the sunniest part of your yard so it would be silly not to harness the power of the sun for natural and efficient cleaning.
There are a wide range solar powered pool cleaning products on the market; from robotic pool sweepers to full pump and filtration systems.
The benefits of choosing solar powered pool cleaners include:
– After the initial set-up costs, solar energy is free and abundant.
– Automated cleaning systems help reduce pressure on pumps, saving energy and maintenance costs.
– Natural solar powered cleaning reduces the need for chlorine, making your pool healthier and more pleasant.
And, most importantly, an effective solar powered pool cleaning system will save you time!
After all, you installed your pool for rest, relaxation and recreation, not to spend hour upon hour cleaning it!
Read on for specifications and reviews of two of the leading solar powered pool cleaners on today’s market. The first product is a full solar powered filtration system and the second is a solar powered robotic cleaner.
The choice you make will depend on your budget, your cleaning needs and the existing infrastructure of your pool system.
1. Natural Current Water Products- NCSF10K Savior Solar Pool Pump and Filter System
This is a full solar powered filtration system which has a built in solar panel and floats on the surface of the water, filtering algae and bacteria out of pool water. It completely replaces the need for a noisy and expensive to run filtration system and all you’ll need to do to keep your pool clean is regularly skim the water for leaves and debris.
– Weighs 26 pounds and measures 34.5 x 24.5 x 11.5 inches (For 5000 gallons – unit sizes vary for pool volumes).
– Life expectancy of 10 – 30 years.
– It promises to pay for itself within 12 months on energy and chemical saving.
– Completely replaces electric pump and filter. – 12 month limited warranty.
– It does not store energy and is less effective if there are a few cloudy days in a row.
– Some customers report that opening the unit to clean the filter is tricky to master.
This unit won best green product in the Pool Industry Expo award in 2012. It has received mixed reviews on Amazon.com. Some customers are overwhelmingly positive about its performance while others are disappointed. It seems that customers whose pools receive high sunshine hours are impressed while those in cloudier climates find it less effective. Nearly 50% of users gave it a full 5 star rating.
The amount you spend on one of these systems depends on the volume of your pool. Prices start at around $500 to service a 5000 gallon pool and go right up to $1600 for a system that can service a pool of up to 40,000 gallons.
2. Floatron Solar Powered Natural Pool Cleaner
A solar powered robotic pool cleaner which floats on top of the water and has an exterior solar panel which collects energy from the sun and activates a mineral electrode. It’s fully automated and continuously cleans your pool, reducing pressure on your pump and almost completely eliminating the need for chemical treatment.
– One unit will service a pool up to 40,000 gallons.
– Weighs 5.2 pounds and measures 12.75 x 12.75 x 6.25 inches.
– Mineral electrode requires replacing about once every 5 years.
– Completely non-toxic pool cleaning.
– Reduces chemical costs by up to 80%.
– Simple to set up and get running.
– No need to install panels: the solar panel is built in.
– 24-month manufacturer’s warranty.
– Some customers report that the rubber bumper strip comes loose occasionally and needs fitted back into place.
– You need to clean the inner coil of the Floatron regularly to keep it working at its best.
This product has an average consumer rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars after close to 200 consumer reviews on Amazon.com. Customers find that it’s an excellent alternative to chemically treating their pools and that it saves time and money and makes for a far more pleasant swimming experience.
If you look out for a sale, you can purchase a Flotron solar powered pool cleaner for as little as $260 on auction sites like Amazon.com.
An Investment that will Save You Time and Money in the Long Run
The point of your pool is to enjoy some fun in the sun. Why not use the sun’s natural power to make cleaning your pool cheaper, healthier and more efficient?
Whether you choose to invest in a full filtration system or purchase a solar powered automated pool cleaner to ease the pressure on your pump, the savings you make in time and money will be well worth the investment.